Youuuu Guyyyys! I cannot wait to share this new dress with you! I have wanted a denim shirtdress for the longest time and this one does not disappoint.
I used a fan favorite, tried n true by many, Butterick 6333. The website describes it as follows: Shirtdress has pointed collar, collar and front bands, fitted bodice, princess seams, button-down closure skirt variations with front pleats, and side pockets. View A is Sleeveless and has bias armhole facings. view B has Three-quarter length sleeves with cuffs. Views A, B have a Full gathered skirt, skirt back pleats, and double-layered sash. view C has Narrow hem on cap sleeves.
I made view B as is without any changes.
If you’ve ever made a collar with a collar stand before, you know this can be quite tricky. I took extreme care when constructing mine paying a great deal of attention to which parts got interfaced, and the correct construction of those parts, as well as getting a seamless transition between the front band and the edge of the collar stand. It’s really a matter of reading the instructions one sentence at a time, lots of clipping and seam trimming, pressing and just taking your time. But, it’s so worth it!
I decided on snaps for the closures using a kit I got forever ago from Closet Core. I made an Instagram Reel to demonstrate how to do it which you can get a link to in the description box. A lot of people commented that they had fails with their last attempt of snaps and my best advice is to get quality snaps and tools. That will make a world of difference.
Because this was a pretty hearty denim — on the low end of mid-weight — I decided to do flat felled seams throughout. This means the inside of my dress is completely finished with no serged seam allowances except for the armcye because I chickened out and didn’t want to ruin the dress. This also means there is topstitching visible from the right side. Basically, this dress is going to last for a lifetime…or as long as the fabric holds up.
Speaking of the fabric, I used a 4 oz denim I got from Joann. It comes in 3 washes and I’m pretty sure I have the one called Dark. It’s 100% cotton and considered a bottom weight. But, like I said before, its definitely on the lighter side of a bottom weight. I enjoyed working with it and had no issues at all. I can’t wait to see what ends up happening to this fabric the more I wash and wear it. It will likely lighten up a bit in terms of structure and the color might change some too.
This pattern comes with really nice deep pockets and in the denim, they could hold just about anything without pulling on the dress too much. The length is classic hitting my knee without any adjustments. I’m 5” 5’ for reference.
I will say…the waist is a little big for my liking. I have lost a little weight since I cut this out, so that could be it, too, but I will probably make a belt from the scraps and help cinch that in some. If I make this dress again, I will need to take out about 2” for the waist to fit like I like. I can probably just size down the waist and hip, too since the skirt is so roomy.
Speaking of the skirt, it has these really great pleats all the way around. And, in my denim, the pleats are pretty structured especially along the curvature of my back. It’s a little — dare I say — duck-ish? It’s not a deal breaker, but just a little something I wanted to mention. I think if I made it in a heavier fabric again, I would hack the skirt back to have no pleats and just a couple of darts. It’s an easy enough adjustment.
So, there you have it! That’s the good, bad, and ugly of my B6333. Well, there’s nothing ugly about it, but you know what I mean! All the details. Let me know what you think of my new dress! This will be included in the short list of shirt dresses to choose from for the next Sew-Along, so if you want to vote, be sure you join my Patreon as they are the only ones who vote on the sew-alongs!
But, that’s going to do it for me today! Thank you so much for watching! I’ll see you all very soon! Bye!