Patterns For Pirates Summer PJ's | Sewing Pattern Review




It’s reveal day for my #SewTogether21 make for February. If you remember, everyone chose the Pattern For Pirates Summer PJ’s.

The website describes the patter as the perfect warm weather pajama! They’re simple and quick to sew up with neckline finished with bias and bottom finished with thin elastic.

Options include crop, top and nightie length. Bottom lengths include cheeky, shorties and capri.

The bodice is a simple shift design with bust darts. The strapping is made from bias tape that is extended from finishing the bodices raw edges.

I have a lot of experience with bias tape, but I though that the technique taught in the pattern was a really great one. It is absolutely imperative that you follow her advice for attaching the bias through the army. These silky fabrics will definitely want to stretch out while sewing. But with some stay stitching and appropriate tension on the bias tape itself, will produce beautiful results.

The pattern calls for purchased bias tape, but I just find that to be so stiff and not comfortable so I made my own. I used a stable, but soft woven so make sure the bias tape would still be easy to attach, but would be softer against my skin.

The pattern comes with adjustable straps, which seems like a great idea at first, but I think it’s unnecessary for this pattern. I do like the Y back, but I would skip making the straps adjustable next time and just use the ring to bring all the strapping together. The straps just ended up really bulky and I can’t imagine myself actually having to adjust them much. So, now that I have the length I need, I’ll just skip those steps next time.

My version is the dress length with no adjustments. It’s still very short hitting just a few inches below my low hip. That said, I will definitely be lengthening this and making it from a stable cotton for an absolutely adorable summer dress.

The fit of the bodice is pretty great on the front. But, after assessing my make and taking a closer look at the tester versions, I think the back piece might be drafted a little big. A lot of people have sagging along the upper back. If the pattern had less ease through the top of the back piece, it would hold up nicer, I think.

In general I might be able to size down all together, especially for the crop top and top versions, but let me tell you…this little nightie is so comfortable. I’ve slept in it twice now and no complaints at all.

I want to also add, that I did attempt the shorts, but the fit was so bad, I didn’t finish them. The crotch length was too long, and waist and hips were too big. Some of this is my fault as I was rushing and not paying too much attention to fit. But, I do want to try them again because from what I was able to sew together, they look like they are going to be super cute.