McCall's 8218 is the knit jumpsuit pattern I did the Sew-Along for recently. It is a super cute sewing pattern that nails the luxe-leisure trend. After sewing it up with some of you, I'm excited to share how mine turned out.
In today’s video, I’m reviewing the sewing pattern itself, the french terry knit fabric I used and any sewing pattern alterations I made. Watch this video to get a full download on everything you need to know before you sew this jumpsuit pattern!
I recently sewed McCall's 8218 and I am so excited to show you how it turned out! I just wrapped up the Sew-Along for this sewing pattern, too and I can't wait for you to see how it all came together.
I'm going to be showing you all sorts of angles of the jumpsuit and talking a lot about fit, the fabric I used, the pattern instructions, and anything I'll do differently when I make another one.
Be sure to like this video so other people will see it, subscribe, and click the bell if you want to be notified every time I post a video! Videos highlighting my makes and sewing pattern reviews go up every Monday. I already have dozens for you to watch if you need a little binge sesh. Check out the playlist in the top, right corner of your screen. It opens in a new tab so you won't lose your place here!
If you're new here, I'm Lindsey! I sew all my own clothes and basically just come on here and talk about it so I don't annoy the heck out of my friends and family. Haha! So, I'm glad you found me! Be sure to introduce yourself in the comments so I can give you a formal welcome!
McCall's 8218 is described as a Misses' knit romper & jumpsuits with gathered waist. Views A & B have a tie front. View C has a V-neck & sash.
If you watched the Sew-Along, you also know that the bodice is fully lined and the pants have in seam pockets.
I made the tie-front bodice of A/B with the longer pants length of C. It's the same view the model is wearing, just with longer pants.
Fit wise, I used my Fast Fit workbook to determine my bust size. The waist on this pattern is irrelevant because you fit the waist with elastic in the gathered seam. My hip actually fell into a size that was 3 sizes larger than my bust, but with 6.5" of ease through the hip, I knew I could size down and would be ok. All of this info was determined by using the workbook. It really does take the guess work out of picking a size. I've linked it in the description box for you if you want to check it out.
When I went to tissue fit the bodice, I was able to address some gaping at the neckline and armcye, and I also discovered the bodice was really long. All of this is addressed in Episode 1 of the Sew-Along. But, during that process, I didn't give the underarm enough attention. My bodice ended up hanging really low at the side seam. It was easy enough to take up the shoulder seam and take in the side seam at the upper bodice as a sort-of Make It Work solution. But, the right thing to do would be to raise the underarm seam prior to cutting the fabric. In all honesty, I could probably size down in the bodice as well.
I did a little bit of measuring for the pants and was pleasantly surprised to see the rise and crotch curve depth were both spot on for me. The curve in the back is a little flat which is what is causing the appearance of a wedgie. That extra fabric has to go somewhere. LOL. But, it's easy enough to remove the excess even after the entire garment is sewn. While I'm at it, I'll probably remove some from the front crotch as well. Man, pants, am I right?
If you're thinking about making this and are worried about fit, just use the Fast Fit Workbook and then double check your armcye depth. If you still feel unsure, email me and I'll help you through fitting and making adjustments for your particular body through a virtual consultation.
The pattern was super easy to construct and even with the lining, the instructions were clear. The only thing that will confuse you is how you sew the right side of the lining to the wrong side of the overlay. This is so that if the overlay raises up any, the seam allowances of the lining aren't visible. But, as you can see from this little test I did, you can't see the lining even when you raise your arms over your head. So, in the future, I'll probably just sew the lining in like usual, where the lining and overlay seam allowances are facing each other.
For the fabric, I used a french terry from Style Maker fabrics. It's called Tonal Marble Dye and is made from a blend of polyester, rayon and spandex. I cannot begin to tell you how soft and cozy this fabric is. I know it's an unconventional choice for a jumpsuit, but if you have been keeping up with trends, the lux-leisure is where it's at. The exact color of the fabric I used is sold out now, but there are two other colors to choose from: Sage and Denim. There's also a couple of other dye options. Contrast Marble Dye comes in Melon, Olive and Blue colorways. And, Tonal Tie-Dye comes in Rose, Sage, and Charcoal.
Even if you aren't going to make this jumpsuit, you should definitely consider this fabric for a matching sweater and shorts set. That would be so cute. You can also go watch Episode Zero of the Sew-Along to see five other fabrics that I recommend personally for this pattern.
But, that’s going to do it for me today! Thank you so much for watching! See you all very soon! Bye!